· Start date in September 2019;
· Office in Edinburgh or Islington (London) if strongly preferred;
· Initial 18 month contract;
· Full-time position (part-time is possible but no less than 3 days per week);
· Salary £35-45k FTE depending on experience;
· Package of benefits including flexible working, 33 days holiday, pension.
Scene Connect ("Scene") is a leading renewable energy consultancy in local energy and energy access, with innovation projects in the UK and global south. Due to recent success in funding competitions, we are looking to expand our technical team with new appointments – with specific focus on our Cloud ZUoS project.
We’re looking for a candidate who buys-in to what we stand for, both in terms of our mission and our collaborative approach to team working. Check out our projects to see what we have done since we started in Edinburgh in 2011. We are a small, but steadily growing business - we currently have around 20 staff across our Edinburgh and London offices (with some staff shared with Connected Energy, a business in which we are a founding partner and shareholder, that helps to bring renewable energy to people in rural areas in South Asia and East Africa).
We work across the UK, and are part of international projects in India, Tanzania, Rwanda, Nepal and Uganda.
The role will be to help design and implement our ZUoS energy services platform, which will allow electricity grid operators to automate energy services to increase efficiency and generate value. It will address three overarching grid constraints that prohibit deployment of distributed energy resources (DER): thermal constraints; lack of bi-directional power flow capability; and the absence of a local trading framework.
The project pilot is based in Huntly (north east Scotland), working with local domestic and commercial consumers, and local generators, to develop and trial the ZUoS platform. We will integrate the ZUoS energy trading platform with Enbala (Canadian partner)’s Virtual Power Plant platform to deliver a market coupled virtual power plant system.
The project presents a unique opportunity to the right candidate to help design the power system of the future and take a lead role in helping to commercialise the platform.
(N.B. The ZUoS Technical Manager role will be undertaken either by the Solutions Architect or Power Systems Engineer)
· Act as platform owner and work with designers and developers to develop the ZUoS platform and integrate it with Enbala’s Virtual Power Plant;
· Ensuring the delivery of product features into version iterations at the required level of quality, including implementing or overseeing automated tests.
· Pro-actively participate in the full development lifecycle (where able and needed).
· Work between the software team and the commercial team, managing communications, workflow, and indeed expectations.
· Acting as the funder and consortium facing representative of the company, participating in project budgeting, planning and reporting as required.
· Developing an understanding of the commercial opportunities of the project and engaging with the company’s commercial team, to ensure that the project develops in a commercially useful direction.
We are looking for someone who can:
· Communicate effectively – we have an international scope and teams in Edinburgh, London, Rwanda and India – and need people that communicate clearly and effectively within and outside of the team.
· Manage a software team – with or without SCRUM.
· Demonstrate ability to take initiative, be self-motivated to problem solve, debug and bring tasks to completion.
· Create and influence best practise within the company and hold those in their team to account in a sensitive manner.
Power Systems Engineer
Broad knowledge of:
· Power system steady state and dynamic analysis
· electrical integration of renewable power assets and grid codes
· working with Grid operators, Power generators, Utilities, Distribution companies, converter designs etc.
· wide range of technical domains within grid integration of renewables, ancillary services and grid codes.
· SMETS Metering and DCC interactions;
· Energy Supplier market involvement and data flows;
· Data compliances; grid scale & technology scale;
· Broad technical background in grid networks and data flows;
· Experience in modelling local grid networks
· Working with our commercial analyst to define technical requirements for ‘ZUoS’ calculations (Zonal Use of System charges, based on a pay-for-the-grid-you-use concept;
· Define algorithms for software team for implementation
o Simulate the grid; virtual micro-grid modelling
o Examine grid as set of nodes and considers power flows between nodes and new configurations
· Write a max 1-page cover letter;
· Send your cover letter and CV to: email@example.com Interviews will commence immediately upon applications received.
We are an Equal Opportunities employer and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates. Applicants must have the right to live and work in the UK.