Position: Summer Research Internship
Location: ECCI, Infirmary St. Edinburgh, EH1 1LZ
Duration: 12 weeks
Contract Type: Temporary - Consultant
Salary: £10 / hour
Hours: 35 hours / week
In collaboration with Coventry University, Scene are conducting a longitudinal study of community renewable energy (CRE) in Scotland. Building on research conducted in 2012 to understand and assess the current state of the CRE sector, the project aims to understand how these projects have developed and changed in the last 4 years. Using both desk based research and phone surveying, the project will revisit the projects surveyed in 2012, and identify and interview newly developed projects.
The project will firstly form a basis for analytical research into how certain factors have affected CRE development in the UK, as well as augmenting a database of global CRE projects. The database will form the second project output, as it will be integrated with an existing community energy platform – Energy Archipelago.
You will work with a research team from Scene and Coventry University and you will be in charge of participant outreach.
Scope of Role & Duties
- Identification of relevant community energy groups
- Market research and preliminary data collection
- Initial outreach and contact with communities
- Organising of phone surveying
- Phone surveying of community contacts
- CRE data collation and management
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree [Desirable]
- Knowledge of the renewable energy sector [Essential]
- Previous experience working within academic research projects [D]
- Experience with qualitative research techniques [E]
- Experience within an outreach or communications role [D]
Skills & Proficiencies
- Understanding of research design & techniques [E]
- MSOffice proficiencies – particularly Excel [E]
- Proficiency in database design & management [E]
- Good interpersonal skills [E]
- Understanding of GIS & web development [D]
- Self-motivated and able to organise and work capably without direct instruction
- Must be willing to speak to strangers on the phone
- Interest in renewable energy, and preferably an interest in community owned energy
- A good sense of humour
To apply for this job, send your CV, with covering letter (restricted to 1-page A4), clearly explaining how you match the above specific duties and person specification, also detailing which parts of the person specification you do not meet.
Send your application to Project Manager Sandy Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should be received by Monday 4th July.
Interviews are schedules to take place between the 4th-8th July in Edinburgh or via video conference.
Candidates must have the right to live and work in the UK.